There are 55 libraries in the Auckland Council Region.
If you live or pay rates in the Auckland Council region, you are entitled to free membership at the libraries.
Non-resident students at schools within the Auckland Council region are entitled to free membership until their 18th birthday.
- Library members can request an item from any of the libraries in Auckland Libraries at no cost
- There is free internet access at all libraries. Some libraries have wireless internet access. The rules for using these facilities vary so it is wise to check with your local library.
- Events and programmes include Wriggle and Rhyme: Active Movement for Early Learning for babies; storytime for toddlers; book clubs for teens and adults; guest speakers and author talks; movie nights; school holiday programmes, computer learning classes and more.
- Other services include multicultural and migrant services, research, meeting rooms and spaces, as part of a wide service offering.
- There are approximately 3.5 million items in the collection including fiction and non-fiction books, sheet music, CD’s, DVD’s, games, audio books, foreign language and reference materials.*
- The Digital Library includes over 100 databases which provide access to the world’s information and e-audio books which can be downloaded.
- Approximately 16 million items are borrowed from libraries during the year. These 16 million items are also returned, and then re-shelved, equating to 48 million handling transactions.*
- Approximately 12 million people visit Auckland libraries during the year. They come to browse, borrow, read, use the internet, learn and find information, study, meet friends, attend an event or a computer skills class.*
- Approximately 3.9 million internet and wireless internet sessions are used during the year.*
*Based on the 2009-2010 year information.
The period for which items may be borrowed from a library varies according to the item as does the number of time the loan period may be renewed. Some general rules are;
- All items except magazines and downloadable media can be renewed once only.
- Titles can be renewed online through My Info or by contacting your local library.
- Items are renewed for the same period as the original loan.
- Rental items (as opposed to loan items) incur the same initial rental charge
|Audio books||28 days||Free|
|Language courses||28 days||Free|
|Sheet music||28 days||Free|
|Magazines||14 days (no renewals)||Free|
|CD-ROMs and console games||14 days||$5|
|Rental DVDs||7 days||$2|
|Rental standards||7 days||$20|
|Downloadable media (customer choice)||7 or 14 days||Free|
|Choral sets & sheet music with parts||90 days||Free|
|Orchestral sets||90 days||Free|
Free email reminder notices
Provide any library with your email address and they will automatically send you an email reminder notice three days before your items are due back.
You can also provide them with your email address by logging into My Info and clicking Modify Personal Information.
All the above information obtained from the Auckland Libraries website